Monday, November 17, 2008

Welcome Home Elder Rowley.....or Uncle Nick


We welcomed Uncle Nick home from his mission this past week. It is so good to have him home again and it has been really touching as Dylan has watched him closely and has caught a glimpse of a missionary. We were not going to make the drive down to St. George, originally, when he came home from Argentina. However, Dylan kept asking me to take him, "to see Nick get off the plane." I was talking to Jenn and telling her about my brother coming home from his mission and that Dylan keeps asking if we can go. Jenn convinced me to go down and now I am so glad we made the 5 hour trip. I loaded up the boys and drove to Parowan on the spur of the moment @ 4 pm on Tuesday. We stayed with Grandpa and Grandma Rowley and then traveled to St. George on Wednesday and met up with all the Rowley family. Nick's plane was supposed to arrive @ 12:30 pm. However, his flight was delayed and postponed until 3:45 pm. We all went to the park and ate lunch and the cousins played with each other. When we all arrived @ the airport the flight was delayed until 4:15 pm. I thought my mom was going to need a massage or something because the flight kept getting delayed and she was so anxious to finally welcome home Nick.
When Nick arrived it was awesome. He hugged my mom for such a long time and I thought that must be how Our Heavenly Father longs for our reunion with him someday. There was about 25 members of the Rowley clan at the small St. George airport.
We all went to dinner and then the boys and I stayed the night in Parowan before making the trip home on Thursday. I am so glad we went now and Dylan confirmed the fact that we made the right choice by going when he said, "Mom what do I have to do to be a missionary." It was the perfect opportunity for Uncle Nick to tell him about serving a mission and Uncle Nick took the opportunity to do so. I am thankful for a wonderful brother who has set a great example for my boys. I know Dylan watches closely. We went back to Parowan on Saturday for his homecoming address and then returned on Sunday. It was great to see everyone, I only wish that we lived closer. Thank heavens for DVD's and the radio. The boys were great travelers.

2 comments:

Jen said...

I'm so glad you had a great experience. I cannot believe how perceptive our little ones truly are. They're watching and they're watching close, absorbing it ALL!! I'm so glad you went ;)

Heather S. said...

Wow, I can't believe he is old enough to have gone on a mission...and returned. I remembered hanging out at your house in high school, and he was just a baby...wow how time flys. Who are your relatives in Ohio??? And were are they at?? I know a Rowley --Medical Student...sorry, can't think of his first name, but I suppose it could be your in-law too. Anyway, let me know.